Skip to main content


What is the Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program?

This is GO MAINE’s version of “commuter insurance” for members who regularly carpool, take transit, vanpool, bike, or walk to work. If you experience a qualified emergency, we will reimburse you for your trip.

What is a qualified emergency?

  • A sudden personal illness or emergency
  • An immediate family member (spouse/domestic partner, child, parent, grandparent, sibling, or equivalent family member on your spouse/domestic partner’s side) has an unexpected illness or emergency
  • A carpool/vanpool driver has an emergency or unexpected overtime
  • A supervisor requires you to work unscheduled overtime

What is NOT a qualified emergency?

  • Personal errands
  • Planned medical appointments
  • Business-related travel
  • On-the-job injury
  • Weather-related events
  • Transportation system delays
  • Utility system failures
  • Building closings
  • Voluntary overtime
  • Termination

How often can I use ERH?

You can use ERH up to four (4) times per calendar year if you are an active GO MAINE member and you are recording your qualifying trip in the GO MAINE system.

Where can an ERH trip go?

An ERH trip will take you to one of the following locations of your choice (one-way only):

  • Home
  • Park & Ride lot
  • Transit station
  • Child’s school or day care
  • Medical facility

How will I be reimbursed?

Once you have redeemed your Emergency Ride Home in your GO MAINE member profile and you are not using a partner taxi company, please email your receipts and the reimbursement form to When we receive your Trip Summary and original receipt, GO MAINE will mail a reimbursement check directly to your home. Please note that checks can take up to four weeks to be mailed.

Does my employer have to be a part of GO MAINE?

Yes. In order for you (as a commuter) to participate in the ERH program, your employer must be a participating member with a designated Transportation Coordinator.

  • You can find out if your employer is a participating GO MAINE member by looking for your employer under the Employers tab.