YOUR WORKOUT TO WORK…
Bicycling and walking are excellent alternative commuting options. They are free, healthy and sometimes can even be faster than sitting in your car on congested roadways. And you get your workout in on your way to work! With Maine’s tricky weather, you need to be prepared. Even if you only take an active commute in the warmer months you will still be doing a lot to cut your commuting costs, reduce auto emissions and improving your health.
Don’t forget to register with GO MAINE, record your trips and get rewarded!
Bike Commuting Tips:
- Give your bike a good once-over before you start
- Your first time? Pre ride your route; make sure it is an achievable distance
- Start small- ride just one day a week and then build up to a whole workweek
- Plan your route- aim for streets with bike lanes or minimal traffic if possible
- Give yourself more time than you need when starting out
- Wear a helmet!
- Wear reflective clothing or add reflective strips to your outside layer
- Dress in layers! You don’t really need the fanciest stuff, just dress warmly and invest in a few pieces to keep you dry
- Learn how to fix a flat- if you don’t already
- Follow the rules of the road- use those hand signals
- Watch for parked cars that may swing open their doors-this happens far too often
- Have a back-up plan- using the bus, carpooling or driving if necessary
- Plan how long your post ride clean-up will take at work- a chamois towel may come in handy
- Be a role model for others- stick to it and set a good example for your family, your co-workers